Getting duplicate or double messages in Outlook mailbox is not something that happens rarely. According to a survey, 37 out of 50 users of MS Outlook accepted that they receive duplicate emails in their Outlook mailbox every now and then. Be it from some kind of advertisements, promotional companies, or due to some technical issues inside MS Outlook.
It’s really annoying to keep receiving the same message again and again. In spite of deleting them one by one, the “never-ending duplicate emails” appear anyway. In such a set of circumstances, the only thought pops up in mind is to delete multiple duplicate emails from Outlook mailbox ASAP.
Now, before we proceed directly to the part where we know how to remove duplicate emails from Outlook, let’s first discuss what is the origin of these duplicates, and why it is really important to get rid of them.
So let’s get started!
How Do They Generate? – Reasons for Duplicate Emails in Outlook
After a good research, I narrowed down the causes of these duplicate emails of Outlook into the following points, and also focusing why do we need to delete duplicate emails from Outlook, which goes like:
- In the hunger to get more reach of users and promotions, various organizations or companies send one single mail to users over and over again, which is ugh! So annoying!!
- The improper email settings in Outlook Account is one big technical problem to give birth to multiple copies of the same email message.
- Another huge technical fault is the incorrect configuration of the Rules.
- Ofcourse, the synchronization of your personal computer with mobile phone leads you to end up with a lot of duplicate emails.
- Sometimes we accidentally combine a big number of files altogether, which causes duplicate copies of the same email.
- Your very dear plug-in “Antivirus” software is secretly causing duplicate emails without you knowing! Not deliberately, but only if there is any kind of disruption in the send/receive process.
Yeah these all are a handful of reasons behind the infuriating duplicates in MS Outlook mailbox. Now what can be the impact of these factors, other than just being annoying?
Let’s move ahead and discuss the outcomes of duplicates in Outlook mailbox.
Are Outlook Duplicate Emails Just Irritating or Harming You More Than That?
The consequences of having a huge number of doubled emails, contacts, calendar entries in MS Outlook can be various. Not only do they slow down the productivity of Outlook, but also create other issues as well.
Have a look on the outcomes of doubled emails in Outlook:
- Outlook Getting Slower: The biggest upshot of duplicate emails is getting Outlook slow, hanging, freezing and getting stuck. The user will have no choice but to just wait and wait, staring at the “Searching..” message showed up on the screen.
- Lower Productivity: In such situation where Outlook is taking too long to respond, it is obvious to calculate that Outlook won’t be as productive as we expect it to be, resulting postponed tasks and more headaches.
Quick Hacks to Delete Duplicate Emails From Outlook Folder
Now that you are having a lot of duplicates in your Outlook account, you are left with no choice, other than deleting these duplicates. Below is explained the best possible ways to delete and remove duplicate email from Outlook. Follow them!
#1. Clean Up Tool in Outlook
Clean Up Tool is an inbuilt utility feature of Outlook to get rid of duplicates. Below are the steps to be followed:
- Open MS Outlook >> click on Clean Up to expand all the options.
- You will see 3 options : “Clean Up Conversation”, “Clean Up Folders”, “Clean Up Folders & Subfolders”.
- Tap on “Clean Up Folders & Sub folders” option.
- “Clean Up Folder” box will show up asking you if you want to proceed the clean up or cancel? Select “Clean Up Folder”.
- Find another option “Settings” & click on it to manually provide the destination of the folders you are going to delete.
- Next, “Outlook Options” window will open >> hit on “Browse” to insert the location of PST file.
- A dialog box will show up i.e., Select Folder (displaying all the available folders in Outlook) >> click on Deleted Items >> OK.
- Lastly, tap on “Clean Up Folder”.
Voila! You are done!!
#2. Outlook Duplicates Remover
To make all this process easier, here is a trustworthy, safe and economical automated solution available at your fingertips. SysTools Outlook Duplicates Remover Tool is an advanced solution to quickly get rid of any number of duplicates, be it emails, contacts, calendar entries, journals, tasks & etc. It can effectively remove all kind of duplicates from your Outlook mailbox.
The special part about this software is that it does not directly deletes the duplicates from the mailbox, but removes them and lets you save them on some other location in your system if you want. Also, enables you to make the removal of duplicates in a bulk as well as selectively.
The Preventions to Follow So That You Never Get Outlook Duplicates Again
After you got rid of all the doubled emails with the help of the above methods (especially in case of the manual method) make sure you never ever get them again in future too. How? Let’s know !!
#3. Import/Export Wizard of MS Outlook
Follow the below mentioned steps to enable the import/export utility to prevent Outlook duplicates:
- Visit Outlook and go to File >> select Open & Export >> hit on Import/Export.
- Inside Import and Export Wizard window, choose Import from another Program or file >> click Next.
- Now, inside Import a file window, choose Outlook Data File (.pst) >> Next.
- Under Import Outlook Data File, browse the desired file to be imported and mark Do not import duplicates check >> Next.
- Lastly, choose Outlook Data File to export whole data or you can select the individual folders of ‘Outlook Data File’ after clicking on the selected folders
- Click Finish.
It indeed is no fun to get repeated messages in any of our email accounts. As for MS Outlook, we discussed the reasons for generating duplicated emails to their impact, along with solutions to delete duplicate emails from Outlook 2016, 2013 and preventions as well. So play it cool when you deal with a lot of duplicates.